"AMAZING DOG FACTS AND QUOTES"
"Dogs are our link to paradise. they don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To set with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - - it was peace."
Did you know that people own approximately 68,000,000 dogs in the United States? They range from mutts to pedigree dogs. Approximately 1 in 3 households hae dogs. We are definitely dog lovers!
"A dog is like an eternal Peter Pan, a child who never grows old and who therefore is always available to love and be loved." Aaron Katcher
Here are some interesting and amazind dog facts. I hope you enjoy them.
"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." Corey Ford
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful." Ann Landers
- Cain Terrier dogs were developed over 200 years ago on ancient Isle of Skye in the Scottish Highlands.
- Pekingese were the exclusive property of the Chinese Imperial Court and commoners had to bow to the dogs.
- It is estimated that one million dogs in the United States have been named the primary beneficiary in their owner's will.
- Female dog bites are twice as numerous as male dog bites.
- More than five million puppies are born every year in the United States.
- An American Animal Hospital Association poll showed that 33 percent of dog owners admit that they talk to their dogs on the phone or leave a message on an answering machine while away.
- Dog's nose prints are used to identify dogs like finger prints are used to identify human's. Breeders and trainers keep them on file.
- Larki, a husky, in 1957 was the first living thing to be sent into space by Russia. He didn't return.
- The world's best dog sniffer is the US Custom's Labrador named "Snag". He has 118 drug seizures worth $810 million.
- At the end of the Beatles' song "A Day in the Life." an ultrasonic whistle, audible only to ldogs, was recorded by Paul McCartney for his Shetland sheepdog.
- Any dog trained to guide the blind cannot tell a red light from a green one. He watches the traffic flow to tell when it is safe to cross.
- A dog's nose is kept moist by fluid from a gland inside his nose. This moisture helps him detect odors.
- When a dog bays at the moon he is following his basic instinct to call the pack together.
- Each day in US animal shelters are forced to destroy 30,00 dogs and cats.
- Dogs can produce their first littler at age 7-9 months.
- Seventy percent of people sign their pet's name on greeting cards. Fifty-eight percent include pets in family and holiday portraits.
- Cisky Terrier's are a relatively new breed and quite rare with only 350 in the US.
- Dogs are member of the order of Carnivora group of mammals that originated in Central Africa. They clean themselves like cats.
- The phrase "raining cats and dogs" originated in 17th Century England when many cats and dogs drowned during heavy downpours of rain. River banks burst and their bodies could be seen floating in the rain torrents that raced through the streets.
"One reason a dog is such a lovable creature is his tail wags instead of his tongue." Unkown
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Stevenson
Here is something you may have seen before but it is worth reading again.
Ten Commandments for Dog Owners
copied - author unknown
1. My life is likely to last ten to fifteen years. Any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you buy me.
2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.
3. Place your trust in me--it's crucial to my well-being.
4. Don't be angry at me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I have only you.
5. Be aware that no matter how you treat me, I'll never forget it.
6. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice when it's speaking to me.
7. Before you hit me, remember that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand, but I
choose not to bite you.
8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me.
Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I've been out in the sun too long or my heart my be getting old and
9. Take care of me when I get old. You, too, will grow old.
10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch it," or "Let it happen in my absence."
Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, I love you.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his
leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
Leave Amazing Dog Facts #2 and go to Amazing Dog Facts
More Amazing Dog Facts #3.